Getting a Marriage License

Marriage licenses in Idaho are issued in-person by County Recorders. Some counties may require that an appointment be made ahead of time.

Blood tests are NOT required. Both parties must read an AIDS information sheet and sign the Marriage License Affidavit.

To obtain a Marriage License for couples 18 + years of age (Per Idaho Code 32-403) you will need:

  1. To appear together at a County Recorder’s Office.
  2. Approximately $30 in cash. Many County Recorders do not take checks or cards. (Fee varies by county. Some counties charge up to $20 more on Saturdays.)
  3. A social security number for each applicant. Non-U.S. residents should bring identification from the country in which they are a citizen. No SSN? Obtain a letter from the nearest Social Security Office.
  4. One of the following as proof of identity and age:
    • Current driver’s license
    • State-issued identification card
    • Passport
    • Original birth certificate or certified copy

You should know:

  • You do not need to be a resident of Idaho to obtain an Idaho marriage license, however an Idaho State marriage license is only valid for ceremonies performed within the State of Idaho.
  • There is no waiting period before using the license; you may get married the same day.

After one year:

There is no expiration date on the license. If not used within a year, please contact: Idaho Bureau of Vital Records and Health Statistics

Additional Instructions for couples with ages of 16 or 17:

  • The age gap between the couple must be under three (3) years age difference, effective July 1, 2020. Per Idaho code 32-202
  • Minor must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian (Idaho code 32-202)
  • Original birth certificate or a certified copy of guardianship papers for the 16 or 17 years old
  • Parent or legal guardian must complete: Affidavit of Consent to Marriage of Minor – Must be completed and signed in the presence of the Deputy Clerk

Please Note: Applicants who are 15 years of age and under will not be issued a marriage license effective July 1, 2019, Idaho code 32-202

Related Laws

Near You


No, an authorized clergy member, judge, or other designated official must perform the ceremony.

View a list of authorized individuals.

No, you may contact a judge to make an appointment.

View a list of authorized individuals.

No, you must present a certified copy of the Marriage License to both the Social Security Office and the Department of Motor Vehicles.

See Idaho Statutes: Title 32 Chapter 2 for who can and cannot marry in Idaho.