Getting a Marriage License
Marriage licenses in Idaho are issued by County Recorders. No appointment is necessary.
Blood tests are NOT required. Both parties must read an AIDS information sheet and sign the Marriage License Affidavit.
You will need:
- To appear together at a County Recorder’s Office.
- Approximately $30 in cash. Many County Recorders do not take checks or cards. (Fee varies by county. Some counties charge up to $20 more on Saturdays.)
- A social security number for each applicant. Non-U.S. residents should bring identification from the country in which they are a citizen. No SSN? Obtain a letter from the nearest Social Security Office.
- One of the following as proof of identity and age:
- Current driver’s license
- State-issued identification card
- Original birth certificate or certified copy
You should know:
- You do not need to be a resident of Idaho to obtain an Idaho marriage license, however an Idaho State marriage license is only valid for ceremonies performed within the State of Idaho.
- There is no waiting period before using the license; you may get married the same day.
After one year:
There is no expiration date on the license. If not used within a year, please contact: Idaho Bureau of Vital Records and Health Statistics
16 and 17-year-old applicants must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian, or have a notarized statement signed by their parent or guardian. (Legal guardians will need to show a certified copy of their appointment of guardianship.)
If applicant is under 16 years of age, they will need parental consent in the form of a notarized statement and permission must be obtained from the Court.
No, an authorized clergy member, judge, or other designated official must perform the ceremony.
No, you must present a certified copy of the Marriage License to both the Social Security Office and the Department of Motor Vehicles. A certified copy of your Marriage License will be mailed to your current address after the Recorder’s Office receives the bottom section from the Officiant.